Parkway Baptist Church is located at 1141 Benjamin Parkway, beside General Greene Elementary School. A parishioner asked us to feature the church and provided us with church history to share. We are delighted to fulfill this reader's request! Here is the background information provided.
Parkway Baptist Church began with a seed planted by the Holy Spirit in the hearts of dedicated individuals. Throughout the 1950s, church growth in Greensboro flourished. As God worked at Asheboro Street Baptist Church, He led the Church to sponsor a mission church in one of the rapidly growing parts of town. That mission church became Parkway Baptist Church. The congregation met for about 2 years at Brooks Elementary until construction was complete. The first service in the Benjamin Parkway church building was held on February 2, 1958. Within a few years, the church outgrew the first building and an educational building and sanctuary were added in 1963.
True to its founding and the leadership from the first pastor, Dr. Leroy Parker, Parkway has remained faithful to its founding as a mission church. From the example set by Asheboro Street’s 50-50 giving to missions, Parkway has always stretched to engage in missions of all types. Through the years, Parkway has sponsored many aspects of missions including support to various mission programs, direct support to specific missionaries, an on-site mission home for missionaries on leave and sending individual members and teams of members on various home and foreign mission trips. As compared to other churches of like membership size, Parkway is recognized as being in the top 2% of Southern Baptist churches in the nation for giving to missions.
Parkway is blessed to still have a number of charter members who are still active in the church and who continue to contribute in many ways to the congregation. Parkway will proudly observe its 58th anniversary in 2018. We hope to follow up and feature this celebration next year!