The above view is the Smith Street side of St. Benedict's, the oldest Catholic Church of Greensboro. It wasn't always in this building or location, but the earliest roots of the church date to the 1870's when the first Catholic mass was held in Greensboro. The original church building was sold to the City of Greensboro and became Greensboro High School in 1899, around the time construction began in the present location. St. Katherine Drexel donated money to help build the church and requested that it be an integrated congregation *
This side view of the church isn't photographed nearly as often as the main entrance on Elm Street. However, it is a good angle to appreciate how the church has grown over the years. It formerly housed a school; however, the school merged with St. Pius and can be found a few miles north on the campus of St. Pius X. The church is considered the Mother Church of Greensboro's Catholic churches. It sure has a lot of interesting history. Happy Sunday!
*reference and more information, here.