The above nativity scene is found on the north side of the 25-acre lawn of Greensboro College and is visible from West Market Street. Greensboro College was founded in 1838. Since it is affiliated with the Methodist Church, the nativity display is especially meaningful. The nativity is really beautiful on a sunny day- especially when there is snow on the ground. Unfortunately, we took the picture at sunset, when the sun was low to the ground. The display is closely guarded with cameras and campus security, as it has been vandalized in the past.
If you look closely, in the background, the JP Building is visible, showing how close the display is to downtown Greensboro. The original nativity scene was built in the 1930's, a gift from the former Jefferson-Pilot company. How fitting that the nativity and the JP Building* keep a close watch on each other. Happy Sunday!
*The building now belongs to Lincoln Financial Group; however, many in the community still refer to the building as the JP building.