Methodists have been holding meetings in Greensboro since the 1820's, but it wasn't until 1851 that a church referred to as the "West Market Street Methodist" was completed. In 1892, at the 300 block of West Market Street, the groundbreaking took place for the above sanctuary. Much history has transpired since these early years; churches have come and gone and merged. It was not until 1968 that the name West Market Street United Methodist Church was adopted. This name was adopted after the Methodist and the Evangelical United Bretheren Church merged. Greensboro's own Gayle Fripp is on the History Committee of WMUMC. If you are interested in a little more history, read the church's website here.
The church is a downtown icon. The above photo is a view from the second floor looking down on the pews. Three and a half years ago, we shared this view of the organ and pulpit (see here). This is a church that has interesting history and architecture at just about every turn. They have a very moving collection of the Stations of the Cross and a very moving chapel. Finally, here is a view of the building itself. From the people to the childcare center to the community outreach to the services to the art and architecture, everything about this church is just beautiful.