This historic home is located at 5300 North Church Street at the intersection with Air Harbor Road at Lake Townsend. The original part was build in 1820, just twelve years after Greensboro became a city. At 7 1/2 miles from downtown Greensboro, in the early 1800's, that must have seemed like a great distance. The home looks so sturdy and majestic, up on the hill at the intersection.
Perusing the National Register of Historic Places listings in Guilford County reveals, of the 99 listings, this house is not one. If the list is accurate and updated, the last building to be added to the registry in Guilford County was World War Memorial Stadium on Yanceyville Street. The first place in Guilford County was the Adams house at 1108 North Main Street in High Point. Our vote is to get 5300 North Church Street designated number 100 for Guilford Couty! Surely, a house that has been standing since the presidency of American President (#5) James Monroe has quite a bit of provenance.