The Preddy Brothers, George and William, were raised in Greensboro, at 605 Park Street, near Summit Avenue and War Memorial Stadium. As a young boy, the ever-resourceful George opened a concession stand at War Memorial Stadium. He called it "The Mouse Hole," a play on his nickname, "mouse." The precocious George graduated from Greensboro Senior High School in 1935 at age 16. He was passionate about aviation and became an Army air force pilot. Following in his older brother's footsteps, Bill also became an Army air force pilot. George was killed by 'friendly fire' in Europe on Christmas Day, 1944. Bill died of injuries sustained when his plane was shot down less than four months later, April 1945. Both Preddy brothers are buried in the Lorraine American Cemetery in France. Imagine losing not one but both of your sons overseas in time of war.
The above memorial kiosk, dedicated to the Major George E. Preddy, Jr. and First Lieutanant William R. Preddy, is located at Piedmont Triad International Airport. At first, we tried to wait for this husband and wife team to leave so that they would not be in the photo. However, we were touched by the fact that they stood for a very long time, reading every single word and watching the video about the Preddy Brothers. Their presence shows the power and effectiveness of promoting the people and places of Greensboro in the airport where, not only travelers but also locals-- like us, learn about our history and culture.