This sculpture, "Lamp of Learning," is mounted in front of the Vance Chavis Branch of the Greensboro Public Library. William Goodson Mangum is the sculptor. The work was commissioned in 1968 by Dunning Industries and the Centennial Decade Advisory Committee of the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce. It is a tribute to the five institutions of higher education in Greensboro (University of North Carolina at Greensboro; North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University; Bennett College; Greensboro College; and Guilford College).
There are (at least) two artists in this part of North Carolina named William Mangum. One is primarily a watercolorist with a studio in Irving Park. The second William Mangum, William Goodson Mangum, painter, sculptor, and former Chairman/Professor of Art at Salem College, sculpted the piece in today's photo. William Goodson Mangum, born in North Carolina in 1924, studied at the Corcoran School of Art as well as the Chicago Academy of Fine arts, and the Arts Students League (reference here).
The above Mangum sculpture looks spectacularly strong and powerful from the east/west view on Lee Street (at the corner of S. Benbow). From the front, it looks entirely different, almost like three separate and unfurled banners. The yellow fall leaves frame the artwork and make it look especially beautiful. Treat yourself to an afternoon at the Chavis Lifelong Learning Branch Library and enjoy an up close view of this work of art!
Corrections to this post were made on September 30, 2011 after receiving a message from Grace Elizabeth Mangum, daughter of Professor Mangum.