Greensboro's first permanent Jewish residents, the Cone and Schiffman families, came to the city in the 1890's. In the early 20th century, Greensboro's Jewish population grew quickly. Over the years, as congregations outgrew facilities, new ones were built. The temple at 1129 Jefferson Road was completed in 2002. According to their website, Temple Emanuel has been "connecting generations" for over 100 years.